Saturday, June 4, 2016

May 20, 2016 Day 14:
Today was our last day exploring Augsburg.  I had many emotions as I walked through the city for the last time.  I looked around and I remembered the first day we were here and everything was so new.  I feel like I learned to navigate this city very well, even better than I know how to navigate Pittsburgh (the buses there are just confusing).
We went to breakfast at the Riegele brewery, where I had white sausage, a pretzel, and beer for breakfast.  This was probably my favorite meal I have had this entire trip.  The food was so good and it was just a nice way to spend the morning.
I was very happy seeing everyone walking around, and finally seeing the shops open and full of shoppers.  The mood of Augsburg seems to change once the sun goes down, because that is when it seems to sleep along with the citizens.
During the day, a couple of us went to explore some of the shops we didn't get to see the first week.  We sat in the main plaza for a while just observing people walking by, including a little boy who kept chasing a pigeon.  There was a man with a musical organ box at the other side of the plaza, and the music he was playing sounded very familiar, but I couldn't tell you the name of it.
We went to recycle all of our bottles we have accumulated over the past 2 weeks, and the bottle machine was interesting.  It would take the bottle, spin it, then completely crush it in between two belts.  It sounded really cool and I wish that we had something like that at home.  The glass bottles we had were just thrown in the recycling bin outside. When they were thrown in, each bottle broke, and it felt satisfactory to break the bottles.
We then walked to a mall that seemed very far away.  It was very large, had a cinema in it, and even had exhibits of different reptiles.  It also had those moving walkways you usually see in airports instead of escalators. I wish our malls were like this.
When walking back, there was a woman who stopped us and talked to us in English.  Apparently, she was a Pitt alum and stopped us after seeing my Pitt shirt.  It is really cool to see who you can connect with in the different parts of the world.  It just goes to show how large Pitt is and how much pride people take in their alma mater.
After walking back, we decided to check out the beer garden in the woods across the street from us.  It was very nice here, and there were many dogs to watch.  Sitting in serene beer gardens are probably what I am going to miss most about Germany.  It is so relaxing to just sit there and observe everything.
All in all, I loved this experience I got to have.  I learned so many new things, including how bad I am at attempting to speak another language.  I have had the time of my life, and I can only hope that I can come back and visit one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment